Friday, April 24, 2020

Star Wars, Episode IX: Duel of the Fates (Table of Contents)


               So, The Rise of Skywalker really wasn't that good. I think we're all agreed on that at this point, right? Though I was generally positive (kind of) in my original review, the more I thought over the film- and if nothing else, recent (ahem) world events have left us all with lots of time to think- the more it soured. Revisiting just a sampling of the best novels written in the old Extended Universe before Disney put the kabosh on it only reinforced this, as the storytelling in the old EU, in its best moments, has some moments of pure, exhilerating transcendance. Plus, looking back, my initial worries about The Force Awakens after it came out proved rather prescient; in the end, the new trilogy meant to "finish" the entire grand, generations-in-the-making saga of the Skywalkers.....actually kind of cheapens the original trilogy now, since the official canon now says, in essence, "LOL none of it mattered life is meaningless buy gold BUY GOLD!" 



               And you know what? Screw that! Even if the overarching narrative of the trilogy proved wanting, the new trilogy did, at the very least, give us a great group of characters that deserved a hell of a lot more than what they were given. So, in a fit of pique (and a touch of Plague Madness), I decided to rewrite the whole damn thing. Yep. I'm insane, and this probably won't be anywhere near good, and I'm doing it anyway.

               The initial spark for this idea came to me when the storyboard and concept art for what Colin Trevorrow (who was originally slated to direct Episode IX) had planned was leaked and confirmed to be genuine. It's obviously very barebones, and of course, there is no guarantee that either he or everyone else involved in the film's making could have fleshed it out into an actual, good movie, but even the basic plot concept was well above what we ended up getting, and had far more potential to actually do justice to these characters and give their arcs proper payoff.

               So I'm doing it. What will follow, in a currently-unknown number of chapters, is me taking the basic structure of Trevorrow's original story concept and fleshing out or altering it according to my own personal whims. Not going to try and monetize or publicize it- I have neither the time nor the cash reserves to afford a fight with The Mouse- but it will be here for those who care enough to want to read it and give me their feedback.

               This page will serve as the regularly-updated Table of Contents each time I upload a new chapter, which, as of now, I plan to do once a month to give me enough to write the story out in advance.

               Enjoy! Or don't. Either way.

               This is Star Wars, the TRUE Episode IX: Duel of the Fates.


Table of Contents:














No comments:

Post a Comment